BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Reunion

We saw Binu again this morning. He took one look at me and came running...or hopping. Whichever is preferable. I went to get him a carrot and he followed me right to the door. Very cute, he's like our own little Easter Bunny!

Today was the day we went down to see Grammy Marg. She had a blood transfusion because the cancer is progressing faster than they originally thought, but it made her feel better. Her breathing's not so good but she was lively enough. We also saw my cousin Sue, who's in the same hospital. She's 18 like me, and has something on her pancreas that's making her sick. It could be anything from pancreatic cancer to a pancreatic pimple. Either way, they're bringing her up to Halifax on Wednesday to give her the test results and have 'it' surgically removed.

Three of Grandma's sisters, Pat, Teecee and Betty were down to visit. It was nice to see them again, I don't think I've seen all three of them since Grandpa's funeral.

Also my aunt Elaine and uncle Dan drove down from Kitchener. They brought my cousin Matt as a surprise too.

Even my cousin Erica and her husband Rob came down from Cape Bretton for the day. Erica's pregnant, due in only seven weeks! This will be the first baby in the family since Geoffrey was born.

Anyway, Grandma's pretty sick, but she was really happy to see all of us. Here's the first conversation between her and her sisters:
Marg: What are you all doing here, you think I'm dying?
Pat: No, of course not!
Marg: Well, I am you know!
Pat: Uh...Aren't we all?
To you, this might sound like a crotchety old lady. To us, it means Grandma's having a good day. It's when she gets all complacent and quiet that's when we really start to worry.

The worst part was when we all said goodbye. She was really tired at this point, so she made it sound like we weren't going to see her again. It was horrible.

The best way I can describe this feeling, for those who haven't lost a family member before is this: imagine you are a satalite in the middle of dark space, just floating. All around you are other satalites. Some are close, so you can see their lights really brightly. Others are far away, only the faintest twinkle. But it's through these little bleeps and blinkings of those surrounding you that you know where you are in the universe. Like echo location. Each little signal you send out is returned. But then one of the satalites blinks out, and your signals aren't bouncing back, and suddonly you aren't sure where the hell you are or which way is up. It's pretty scarey.

I'm glad I'm going to get my dog back tomorrow. She's always happy, and we need that around our house, with all this talk of death and funerals.

No comments: