BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 15, 2010

The Chocolate Cake

If I ever had to challange Cake Boss to a bake-off, this would be my cake of choice. Buddy would have nothing on this one, especially if time was a factor in the contest. (My favourite part, it all just gets dumped in one mixing bowl. Not much easier than that.)

Whenever I've made this for bakesales, people have begged for the recepie. So here tis.

Chocolate Cake:

Measure into a large bowl:
1 1/2 cups of white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cups all purpose white flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 large eggs
1 tsp. salt (I usually leave this out, with no harmfull side-effects)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk or sour milk (I sometimes use Carnation instant: little more than 1/3 cup of the powder, fill the rest of the 1 1/2 cups with water and add 1-2 tbsp. white vinegar)
1 tsp. vanilla

Blend 'em all together. Beat at medium speed for 3-4 minutes. Pour into greased Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees farenheit for 30-35 minutes. Test with a tooth pick (it should come out clean when the cake is done). You can also make cupcakes, I know we've done it before, but I'm not sure how long you bake for.

Icing:
Not really much of a recepie. Just melt 3-4 tbsp. of margarine in the microwave, add a comparable amount of cocoa powder and stir until smooth. Add a cup to a cup and a half of icing sugar and just enough milk to make it easier to work with. Add 2 or 3 drops of peppermint extract(optional). Heat a little in the microwave until it's warm and runny, then pour it over the cooled cake like a glaze. If you add too much icing sugar, add more milk; if you add too much milk, add more icing sugar. Easy peasy.

I believe this recepie originally belonged to a friend of a friend of my mother's, Sheila Fournier. Credit where credit is due!
Enjoy!

No comments: