BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stay With The Hippo.

I know, I know. I'm late. But Thursday is almost like Wednesday...right?

MC and I have discovered a new species.

I am proud to present the Sand Hippo:


And again, devoid of camouflage:




The Sand Hippo is less shy than its better known cousin, the North American House Hippo. It is also amphibious, seemingly disappearing into the sea at high tide only to resurface days later elsewhere on land.


 It can be found on early spring afternoons on beaches in Nova Scotia like this one here: 



(That is, grey and drizzly. Not diagonal. In case there was some confusion.)

When approached by humans, Sand Hippos will play dead, even when poked with a stick. Predators include the Tiger Shark and the Sea Lion.

Clearly a fascinating species requiring further study. ;)

No comments: